ParaView Linear Extrusion
The Linear Extrusion filter uses the VTK filter vtkPVLinearExtrusionFilter. This filter is a modeling filter. The input to the filter is some polygonal data. It then creates a surface that is defined by translating the active data set along a vector. That is, the input polygonal data is swept along a vector. If the input data is a line, then new "swept" surface would be a quadrilateral. The output of the filter is polygonal data.
- First the user selects the data they wish to operate on from the Selection Window. It will be highlighted when this occurs.
- The user can then select Filter->Alphabetical->Linear
Extrusion from the main menu.
- The user can select the extrusion scale factor in the Scale Factor box.
- The user can select the extrusion vector in the Vector boxes.
- The Capping checkbox toggles on/off whether the endcaps are drawn.
- The Piece Invariant checkbox toggles on/off whether ghost levels are processed.
- The Apply button must be pressed before the output will be generated.
The Linear Extrusion filter can be used to generate true 3-D polygonal text. This can be done by selecting 3-D Text from the Source menu, then extruding the text along a vector. Additional uses include 3-D bar charts and solid objects from 2-D polygonal meshes.
Some polygonal objects have no free surfaces, like a cone. When such objects are swept, two separate objects will be the output model.