The Tessellate filter uses the VTK filter vtkPOutlineFilter. The filter takes curves, surfaces, and volumes and tesselates them with lines, triangles, and tetrahedra for the active data set.
- First the user selects the data they wish to operate on from the Selection Window. It will be highlighted when this occurs.
- The user can then select Filter->Alphabetical->Tessellate from the main menu.
- The Output Dimension specifies how
nonlinear cells will be treated.
- When the Output Dimension is set to 3, then 3-D cells will produce tetrahedra, 2-D cells will produce triangles, and 1-D cells produce lines.
- When the Output Dimension is set to 2, then the boundaries of 3-D cells will be tessellated with triangles.
- When the Output Dimension is set to 1, all cells will produce line segments except for points.
- The Chord Error box allows the user to specify the maximum chord error (the distance between the midpoint of a newly created edge and the original geometry).
- The Maximum Number of Subdivisions specifies that the subdivision of an edge may occur this maximum number of times. Increasing this number increases the computational time.
- The Merge Points checkbox toggles on/off the merging of coincident points.
- The Apply button must be pressed before the Outline will be generated.